Skip to main content

My Character Sketch on John and Betty

This past Sunday I did my first Character Sketch. I was so nervous! But thankfully it went well. I hope you enjoy it and that you will be richly blessed!


       THE STORY OF JOHN & BETTY STAM

Betty held her baby in her arms, singing softly to this infant child, all to aware that this was their last night together.  Her husband John, tied to a bedpost, could not sleep either. Only two weeks before they had arrived at their mission station with three month old Helen Priscilla, full of hope and eager for ministry. But on this cold winter night, their quiet lullabies were a parting sorrow, for tomorrow they would die.


Elisabeth Alden was born on February 22, 1906. She was the daughter of missionary parents in China. When her family returned to the states she enrolled in Wilson Collage in Pennsylvania, from which she graduated. Knowing that she needed more preparation for the mission field, she then went to Moody Bible Institute in Chicago.

It was there that she met John Stam who was also preparing for the mission field. Betty graduated a year before John and proceeded to China. Until John was able to arrive in China their courtship was by correspondence. Before Betty was appointed for service, She wrote:

"I want something really worthwhile to live for. Like most young people, i wasn't to invest this one life of mine as wisely as possible, in the place that yields richest profits to the world and to me.... I want it to be God's choice for me and not my own. There must be no self-interest at all, or I do not believe God  can reveal His will clearly.......... I know very well that i can never realize the richest, most satisfying, life Christ meant for me, if I am not giving my life unselfishly for others. I want Him to lead, and His spirit to fill me. And then, only then, will I feel that my life is justifying its existence and realizing the maturity in Him that Christ meant for all men, in all parts of the world."

John and Betty were united in marriage in October of 1933, having already spent time in language school. John learned the language very quickly. Betty, of course already knew the language since she had grown up in China. The couple were assigned to several different ministries for a brief period of time and the finally given a station of their own in the small village of Jingde (Ching-te).

It was known that there was Communist activity not too far away, but both the mission authorities and the local magistrate of the two felt that there was not danger and seemed happy to welcome this young couple to whom by this time their first child, Helen Priscilla, had been born.

They arrived in the village in late November, and it was only two weeks after that early one morning there was pounding on their door. The lock was broken, and Red soldiers marched into their courtyard. Without fear, John welcomed them and brought them into their home. Betty quickly prepared tea and cookies and served these officers. The Stam's were then bound and carried away and detained overnight in a local prison. The next day the Communists marched John and Betty (still bound- although Betty was permitted to attend to the baby) to the nearby village of Miaoshou, where they were placed in a rich man's home that was being used as a prison.

A criminal, whom the Reds had just released from prison, overheard the Communists soldiers saying that they were going to kill the child. They didn't want to be bothered with the care of an infant. He pleaded that this three-month old child might be spared, saying that the baby had done nothing worthy of death. The angry retort of the Red soldiers was, " Then it's your life for her's." He, the prisoner who had just been released, said " I am willing." He was hacked to death on the spot, sparing the life of the infant.

That night John was ordered to write to the mission leaders, demanding $20,000 US ransom. He concluded the note, fully aware that ransoms were never paid: "the Lord bless and guid you. As for us may God be glorified, whether by life or by death."

Psalm 23:4 says: " Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for you are with me." 

The next day soldiers marched the Stam's to the nearby village of Miaisheo where they were placed in the office of a local postmaster, who asked were they were going. John who knew the soldiers intentions answered, " I don't know were they're going, but we are going to heaven."

The next morning John and Betty were led to their execution. A local Christian doctor approached the soldiers to plead for mercy for the missionaries. the Communist leader had heard enough. He ordered John to kneel, and with the flash of the sword decapitated the young missionary. Betty fell on her husband's body, and the sword fell again.

Philippians 1:21 says: " For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."

Psalm 116:15 says: "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."


What happened to baby Helen? A Chinese evangelist, Dr. Lo, found her wrapped in Betty's sleeping bag, with a change of clothes and money pinned to her diaper. Betty, during her sleepless night had done her best to comfort and care for the child she knew she was leaving behind. Dr. Lo concealed the child in a rice basket and eventually brought Helen to her grandparents still serving in China.

You may wonder why God would allow these two faithful servants to die in this way. Only God knows that answer. But what we do know is that John and Betty Stam did not believe their lives were wasted. Betty once said, " When we consecrate ourselves to God, we think we are making a great sacrifice, and doing lots for Him, when really we are only letting go of some little trinkets we have been grabbing, and when our hands are empty, He fills them full of His treasures." The understood that God's way is perfect. God used the death of John and Betty  Stam to move many men and women to answer His call into missionary service. As a result, untold multitudes are part of the family of God. Someday those of us who know Christ as our Savior will see God Himself reward John and Betty Stam with a special crown reserved only for those of His servants who have given their lives for the course of Christ. Are we willing to give our life for the Lord? and to do whatever God would have us to do?


Important Facts:

Time of death: December 8, 1934

Ages at death: John (27) Betty (28)

Full Names: John Cornelius Stam, Elisabeth scott Stam.

Place where their mission was: Jingde (Ching-te) is Southwest of Shanghai in Jiangxi Province.


John And Betty Stam 

        Baby Helen when she was found
                                      


Comments

  1. Thank you for this post I enjoyed reading this & seeing how this young couple were faithful to the Lord til the end! I thought about what it would be like for me as I am a mother of a baby girl. It is SO important to be yielded to the Lord & serve Him with our whole being & raise our children for God's glory! We never know when God will choose to call us home. Or where He will call us to serve Him weather right here in the States or on the feorign field. We live in a country full of pride and ungodliness and must live holy lives for God's glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful that you enjoyed it! I was also really touched by their story! and also rebuked! May GOD bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi, Please leave a comment, but please remember that I will delete any inappropriate comments! God bless you!

Your Friend,
Haviland~

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Crisp Delight

  I have recently taken a sabbatical from working full-time and found joy and peace in being a full-time housekeeper for a short time. The desire to keep a consistent routine, budget, and menu is incredible. I have always struggled to plan meals and to be creative in the kitchen. Pinterest has been a great tool in helping me with great recipes.  I have been trying to prepare one dessert a week. This past week, I found the best Apple Crisp recipe and I just had to share!  APPLE CRISP

Crafting Home Decorations

 As a Christian I am called to be a prayer warrior. This is much easier said then done. I have come to realize the importance of good friends that can come alongside you and keep you accountable and encourage you.  This past year the Lord has brought such a wonderful friend into my life. As we have been encouraging each other to use the powerful tool of prayer, we decided we could craft a prayer board in order to remind us and encourage us to pray daily. I highly recommend doing this as a family or church craft. What a wonderful way to lift up the requests of our brethren and ourselves!  I was able to introduce my friend to the wonderful store of Hobby Lobby! We may have spent a lot of money, however, it was for a good cause!  I do believe they turned out very nicely! I would encourage you to ask people for prayer requests. Prayer is such a powerful tool and we are called to use it.  Thou shalt make thy prayer unto him, and he shall hear thee, and thou shalt pay thy vows. Job 22:27  Pr

A Little Garden in the City

Since moving to the city, I have greatly missed having my hands in dirt. You don't realize just how much you love something until you cannot do it. I shared this with a very dear friend of mine and she surprised me with a gift. An indoor herb garden for our little apartment.  To say I was touched is an understatement. I may have shed a tear or two for joy. Gardening is very therapeutic for me. It is also such a wonderful way to see how creation works and how wonderful and amazing our God is! I began to read the instructions and decided I would record the process to share with you all. Shouldn't we share in one another's joy? I think so! The set came with a plant light. I have killed many a plant already due to the fact that our apartment gets no sunlight. This has been very discouraging, since, I love to have flowers and plants in the house to brighten and cheer up a room.  The set came with three packs of seeds, a tea strainer (which is adorable), dirt, four burlap bags, n