Skip to main content

My Start in the Journey of Farm life

Dear Readers,

I apologize for not posting more regularly. I have been quite busy this year, and posting has been set aside for far to long. To update you in the most recent doings of my life, I have been able to graduate from High School, by the grace of God, and am hoping to graduate from piano in the next month or so.

 For quite some time, I have been hoping to begin a new chapter in my life and start a bit of farming. I believed that to farm you must have a fair amount of land and be located deep in the country. Boy, was I wrong! After much reading and researching, I was convinced that I could begin my dream of having a farm on our small acre. Although I won't be able to have to many animals, I believe having chickens will suppress the urge to get a cow.... for now. :)


A few month ago I was able to talk my parents into allowing me to get chickens. I honestly didn't have any clue of how to go about purchasing and finding the best breed. But a few wonderful friends helped me and gave me much advice during the process. I ordered 15 female Black Australorp chicks from Murray Mc'Murray Hatchery and they gave me 1 special breed for free. They arrived about 4 days later and it was love at first sight! Being able to teach them how to drink and eat was very interesting and they learned very quickly.


We couldn't distinguish one chick from the other except for the special breed who we named Sarah and one cute, fat one with a whitish head who we named M&M. 



The chicks are only 21 days old and yet they are growing at an incredibly fast pace and becoming rather rebellious. It's been quite the chore having to clean their water and food multiple times a day, but I am beginning to enjoy it immensely. 


Their not the cute fluff balls anymore but their still entertaining to watch. They have been testing their wings out and I've had an escapee but we were able to catch her without to much trouble. :)


Sarah is the most curious and loves getting all the attention and being in the way when your trying to clean after them. ;)


I have, in recent years, discovered the joy of  gardening and this year decided to have a bigger garden although it ended up being much bigger than I anticipated . It took much planning and researching but I enjoyed every minute it! A wonderful organic vegetable and flower store opened on the street next to us and I was able to talk with the owner and become wonderful friends with her. She was a great help in planning my garden! 


We put deer wire around the garden to keep the hungry animals out and so far it has done wonderfully! I decided to have the chicken coop made near the garden so the chickens would help with bugs. Again, God sent friends to help with providing material for this, and Jared and I built it. It's a bit off square but I think it's adorable. 




My mother has been wanting to get some organic blueberry bushes so I got two young bushes and surprisingly one of the bushes is yielding a handful of blueberries! 


My cucumbers are doing wonderfully and I'm hoping Bess will teach me how to make pickles this year!


 The banana peppers are looking very healthy! 


It's my first time planting green peppers but they seem to be doing just fine! 


My Friend at the plant store suggested 6 different kinds of tomatoes so I will be harvesting quite the variety of tomatoes. I love these yellows tomatoes! I would give you the name but I don't remember! I'll have to work on improving my memory! ;)



I've been putting organic egg shells and coffee grounds in the garden around certain plants for compost. It seems to be helping! I have many more plants that I could talk about but time would tell me to wait for another post. 

I hope you have enjoyed this small tour of my garden and reading about the chicks as much as I have enjoyed writing about it. I hope to post a little more often than before but you know how life gets! If you have any tips and advice about gardening or chickens please leave a comment! 

Your Friend,
Haviland

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Crisp Delight

  I have recently taken a sabbatical from working full-time and found joy and peace in being a full-time housekeeper for a short time. The desire to keep a consistent routine, budget, and menu is incredible. I have always struggled to plan meals and to be creative in the kitchen. Pinterest has been a great tool in helping me with great recipes.  I have been trying to prepare one dessert a week. This past week, I found the best Apple Crisp recipe and I just had to share!  APPLE CRISP

Crafting Home Decorations

 As a Christian I am called to be a prayer warrior. This is much easier said then done. I have come to realize the importance of good friends that can come alongside you and keep you accountable and encourage you.  This past year the Lord has brought such a wonderful friend into my life. As we have been encouraging each other to use the powerful tool of prayer, we decided we could craft a prayer board in order to remind us and encourage us to pray daily. I highly recommend doing this as a family or church craft. What a wonderful way to lift up the requests of our brethren and ourselves!  I was able to introduce my friend to the wonderful store of Hobby Lobby! We may have spent a lot of money, however, it was for a good cause!  I do believe they turned out very nicely! I would encourage you to ask people for prayer requests. Prayer is such a powerful tool and we are called to use it.  Thou shalt make thy prayer unto him, and he shall hear thee, and thou shalt pay thy vows. Job 22:27  Pr

A Little Garden in the City

Since moving to the city, I have greatly missed having my hands in dirt. You don't realize just how much you love something until you cannot do it. I shared this with a very dear friend of mine and she surprised me with a gift. An indoor herb garden for our little apartment.  To say I was touched is an understatement. I may have shed a tear or two for joy. Gardening is very therapeutic for me. It is also such a wonderful way to see how creation works and how wonderful and amazing our God is! I began to read the instructions and decided I would record the process to share with you all. Shouldn't we share in one another's joy? I think so! The set came with a plant light. I have killed many a plant already due to the fact that our apartment gets no sunlight. This has been very discouraging, since, I love to have flowers and plants in the house to brighten and cheer up a room.  The set came with three packs of seeds, a tea strainer (which is adorable), dirt, four burlap bags, n