Skip to main content

Life Update and Bread Making

It certainly has been a hot minute since I have been able to sit down and type a post to share with everyone. Life seems to be flying by so quickly that I can hardly keep up! We are coming to the end of our 3-year term in Virginia, and I couldn't be more ready to move! We hope to have our PCS timeline soon, but until we have more information, I have been putting more effort into my homemaking habits. 

    Since I began working more, I haven't been able to do as much as I would like in regard to making our apartment a home. Although I keep my home in tip-top shape, I feel like I haven't had much time to do anything special.  It is now 2024, and I want to put more effort into my home and family. I have put together a few resources from other homemakers to build my own personal homemakers' binder. It helps me to be able to write things down and keep things organized. 

    I used the "Digital Yearbook of Days" from MarmeeDear @ Co and "A Year of Homemaking Daily Companion" from Heart's Content Farmhouse. I highly recommend taking a look at these resources if you are interested in homemaking/homesteading. 


    I have found that when I am organized and efficient with my time, I am much happier and more at peace. Proverbs 31:27 says, "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness." This is a verse that I want to reflect on and also encourage my readers to reflect on as well. 

     I have also been striving to put more effort into preparing healthier and delicious meals for my family. I have been reading about the benefits of homegrown foods and homemade meals. Growing up, my sister would make fresh bread weekly. I have missed that and decided to attempt to make my own bread from here on out. This week I put my skills to the test. I found an excellent (and easy 😜) recipe for Dutch oven bread. You don't necessarily need to bake it in a Dutch oven, but I have one and wanted to test it out. 

Dutch Oven Farmer Bread

    Ingredients

2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast (1 package)
1 TBS. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 cups warm water
1 TBS. oil (vegetable or olive)
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
olive oil to brush on crust

Instructions

-Mix yeast, sugar, salt and warm water until well blended
-Add the oil and mix well
-Add 2 cups of flour and whisk together until well mixed
-Add remaining flour to form a soft ball
-Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes
-Place dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a towel or cloth, and allow to
rise for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
-Punch the dough down and form into a loose ball shape.
-Turn out into a greased cast iron Dutch oven (or other baking pan)
-Cover and allow to rise for 45 minutes
-Brush the top of the loaf with olive oil and sprinkle with a bit of flour
-Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes, or until the loaf sounds hollow when
the crust is tapped.
-Turn out onto a plate or cutting board and enjoy!

Notes
this recipe calls for baking in a cast iron Dutch oven. You can also bake it as a free-form loaf on a greased cookie sheet or in a regular greased loaf pan.
By One Ash Homestead


Oh, my goodness! I just love how it came out! 


Fresh, warm bread with butter and honey is just delicious! 

    I am delighted with how it came out and am very excited to keep making bread for my household. I am hoping to make my own butter along with the next batch of fresh bread. Not only is this much better for your family but this can also be a great housewarming gift or just a nice little something for your neighbors and friends! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple Crisp Delight

  I have recently taken a sabbatical from working full-time and found joy and peace in being a full-time housekeeper for a short time. The desire to keep a consistent routine, budget, and menu is incredible. I have always struggled to plan meals and to be creative in the kitchen. Pinterest has been a great tool in helping me with great recipes.  I have been trying to prepare one dessert a week. This past week, I found the best Apple Crisp recipe and I just had to share!  APPLE CRISP

Crafting Home Decorations

 As a Christian I am called to be a prayer warrior. This is much easier said then done. I have come to realize the importance of good friends that can come alongside you and keep you accountable and encourage you.  This past year the Lord has brought such a wonderful friend into my life. As we have been encouraging each other to use the powerful tool of prayer, we decided we could craft a prayer board in order to remind us and encourage us to pray daily. I highly recommend doing this as a family or church craft. What a wonderful way to lift up the requests of our brethren and ourselves!  I was able to introduce my friend to the wonderful store of Hobby Lobby! We may have spent a lot of money, however, it was for a good cause!  I do believe they turned out very nicely! I would encourage you to ask people for prayer requests. Prayer is such a powerful tool and we are called to use it.  Thou shalt make thy prayer unto him, and he shall hear thee, and thou shalt pay thy vows. Job 22:27  Pr

My Character Sketch on John and Betty

This past Sunday I did my first Character Sketch. I was so nervous! But thankfully it went well. I hope you enjoy it and that you will be richly blessed!        THE STORY OF JOHN & BETTY STAM Betty held her baby in her arms, singing softly to this infant child, all to aware that this was their last night together.  Her husband John, tied to a bedpost, could not sleep either. Only two weeks before they had arrived at their mission station with three month old Helen Priscilla, full of hope and eager for ministry. But on this cold winter night, their quiet lullabies were a parting sorrow, for tomorrow they would die. Elisabeth Alden was born on February 22, 1906. She was the daughter of missionary parents in China. When her family returned to the states she enrolled in Wilson Collage in Pennsylvania, from which she graduated. Knowing that she needed more preparation for the mission field, she then went to Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. It was there that she met John Stam